For those unaware, MHV has a sizeable grant/donation to be spent on tools and equipment, however as of now I believe around $2k remains.
There’s no point just having money we can only spend on tools, and then not spending it on tools, so I’m curious what people want in the space.
(I’m not sure the specifics of what it can be spent on, but a space wish list isn’t a bad thing to have, I’ll update once I have more details, however if anyone knows the exact info please post it in this thread)
Granted, we’re not gonna get a decent panel saw or lathe new for that much, but I’m thinking maybe a bunch of smaller items.
So far we’ve got an air compressor that’s been all but authorised, and we’re just waiting on Crash to see if he can find a model that’s suitable.
Other than that, there’s a couple thinks I’d personally like the space to have, and any suggestions from everyone else is much appreciated. If you’re all contributing to the community, it’s best you feel you’re getting your fair share of value in return (cough cough this is me thinking MAYBE more people would join the space and maybe more people would donate if we have a bunch of nice tools for them to use)
Seriously, this money’s not gonna spend itself, so suggest anything and everything, no matter how small or large
- Soldering fume extractors, multiple (good for group soldering exercises, we may have some but if so I’m blind and haven’t seen them. Either way, we have like 15 hakkos, 5 fume extractors would be a welcome, safe addition)
- Cyclonic dust separator for our vacuum (should make dust and woodchip management a bit easier)
- Some big long hose for our vacuum, so it can sit in a corner with the separator and drum while allowing for easy cleaning of the space
- Anything that can help with dust management in the space
- Small desktop CNC that’s strong enough to work soft metals (Might be a significant cost, but I think it’s very much worth it)
- Desktop laser cutter (this could also be funded from the money returned from the glowforge (I forget who we’re specifically waiting on for this one)
- Small desktop lathe (I’m talking small, but these can be purchased for cheaper than you’d expect)
- Robotic vacuum cleaner (Call it superfluous, but it is quite a convenience)
- Chromecast/Apple TV/Something that can do both (Another thread about possibly the same grant mentioned projectors, if so I’m sure this’d count) (I have a couple of devices that may soon become surplus, so we could possibly use those). We need something that can take miricast/google cast/airplay and put it on the TV, specific device suggestions are welcome (Right now I’m betting on a Nexus Player with an Airplay daemon running)
Those are my suggestions, feel free to add your own, I’ll bring up the final list at the next comity meeting and see what we can get.