This is currently just a proposal. In order for this to work, most of us have to like the idea and be willing to contribute.
The problem we currently have:
- We’ll buy something that we already have because we didn’t know we had it.
- We do not know if something is hackable or not
- We do not know if something works or what is wrong with it
- We do not know how something works or who to ask about it
- Non-members have no clue what we have to offer or where it is (We can even maybe add it to the website in the future)
We get off our asses and do what we know we should have done years ago. Create an inventory.
I suggest we create a Google sheet that is easily editable by most members. No one person should be expected to write it all down. But instead, anyone who knows a lot about a specific item can write it down. (ie: Me and Ian can talk about Tools, Steve can write about 3D Printers…etc)
We don’t even need to finish it soon. We just need to make sure we add things as we donate them or change them.
A simple one would look something like this:
But I’m sure we can do a lot better than that. We can eventually add code to make it way cooler. (Dropdown lists, YES turns green, NO Turns red)
- We could have a page for key holders. So we can keep track of keys?
- I put in a wishlist page and a shopping list page.
- We could put it on the website to show off to non members what we have
- We can have it editable by only main members. But we could have a page that is editable by non members so that we can approve the changes?
- We could have a column for if the item works or not
- Create a public page for a “To do list”. In case someone wants to help with something and doesn’t know what? Like “Mount more tools on walls”
- A couple of years ago I created the donation post. I don’t think this should replace it because it is still good to get announcements about what is in you. But This would be a great way to keep track of it all.
Thoughts? I’m pretty sure we all agree that it’s a good idea in theory. But will it work? I think if most of us put in 5 minutes every 6 months it would work great.