Metal machining tools safety standards

(Devdsp) #1

At the AGM on Saturday it was decided that going ahead with purchasing a lathe and mill package would be dependent on the community developing a set of safety protocols and standards for the use of those tools and others. This thread is to gather ideas about what that will look like and plan when to meet up and codify the systems and build what ever infrastructure is required.

The basic premise we’re starting with is: anyone who wants to use a hand operated milling machine or lathe must be trained by an experienced person, they will be signed off on the safe use of the tools and be given access to a key/code/token which unlocks power to the machines.

We are proposing that the small room with the welder in it be tidied up and made into a small machine shop.

The first thing I think we need to do is find a person willing to train members on the safe use of the machines which we are planning to purchase. Are you or someone you know a fitter and turner in Canberra that can periodically run introduction to safe machining in the hackerspace?

I believe we’re playing to meet on Saturday to nut out the details and make a set of steps towards the infrastructure.

There will be another thread which will detail the options we are looking at but we’re thinking a sherline or seig package deal, depending on features and cost.

(Paul Buckley) #2

Hi adam i have a great deal of experience in metal work and machining sadly i am not able to comit the time to train other members on a regular basis. I would be happy to assist with devekoping safe work procedures for using the equipment and prehaps training a few other members over a weekend could be trained to train others.

I have a large concern that placing these in the confimes of the small room would not permit their safe use or their effective use.

(Chris Small) #3

Morning! :slight_smile:)
On a separate but somewhat related note, the pictures of the foundry testing left me wondering. Low mp metals are relatively forgiving - but still dangerous. Once you go to higher mp metals mistakes or oversights can be catastrophic. If you’re lucky enough to have proper furnace ware, then it needs to be treated with a certain level of care and respect. I’m not an expert by any means but some training in foundry might be worthwhile if this is intended to be an ongoing affair - I wouldn’t like to see anyone burnt. Hot metal hurts!

(Amr Tawfik) #4

Thanks for the offer Paul! Would you have a better suggestion? I know nothing about these tools but am very eager to learn. Would it be a better idea to have them on the big benches? (If we clear up some space).

(Paul Buckley) #5

Thinking about it more a lathe would fit in the wielding room on the wall opposite the welding bench but you would be limited by the lathe size.

I would recommend placing the mill on a wall in the main workshop area so that you have quite a lot of room around it to manoeuvre materials etc. Not sure where that could be in the space. Perhaps the wall that divides off the two smaller rooms would be a good idea in between the doors into them