Ian's large-format LED matrix display project

Just uploading some photos of @ian’s work from Tuesday night :smiley: IIRC, this will be 5 characters of LED matrix awesomeness and is built from ~125 recycled 3.5" floppy disk LTO backup tape containers!

LED driver board started - built around 74-series shift registers:

LED driver boards assembled:

LED housings (old 3.5" floppy disk LTO backup tape boxes!) reflective backing painted:

TODO: wiring!

1 Like

This project is great, I can’t wait to see it running :smiley:

Is going to be a very good use of that LED strip I had laying around :slight_smile:

for the record though, those are LTO (backup tape cartridge) boxes, not floppy disk boxes.

1 Like

D’oh! Edited for factual errors :slight_smile:

1 Like

We saw it fired up tonight!

2 Likes

This is great. I’m so happy to see it up and running! :smiley:

1 Like

It doesn’t say anything just yet, but if anyone wants to turn it on tonight and see the test pattern - the power plug is hanging to the right of the matrix.

Some images of the test pattern late at night.

3 Likes

Business side of things: shift registers & latches -

Running:

3 Likes

My mum sent me an SMS last night saying she saw the sign on her way home from work and it was really eye catching :smiley:

5 Likes

Is that kind of like the time on the Simpsons when Milhouse says “My Mom thinks I’m cool”?

3 Likes

That’s still an achievement unlocked!

1 Like

Hi. Saw this while having dinner at the noodle house across the road a few weeks ago. I didn’t know of this group, so congrats on both the build and ninja advertising. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This and @jambulance’s happy face the night he first saw it makes it all worth while. I’m glad it motivate you to find out more.

4 Likes

The bots are getting smarter, I think it’s managed to identify a vertical line in the test pattern image posted on May the 5th.

Image for posterity if the post gets YEET’d permanently.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.