I’ve had more chats with joffy ( https://twitter.com/Joflixen ), who has a keen interest in seeing more wifi-mesh activity in Canberra and it seems we now have a solid path to getting our very own VDSL2 to the space.
- Joffy’s house is an easy ~1km line-of-sight to the space; one of the light posts near the building could be used to mount a PoE 5GHz dish on, a fly wire down to the roof could have some UTP zip-tied to it, and then on down into the space through a weather boot/conduit/whatever.
- He sells Ubiquiti gear and could do a pair of 5GHz radios+antennas for ~$400 (I guess https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac/ ? I can’t remember the exact model) which would give us up to 400MBit link.
The pipe out to the internet has several options:
- It’s possible we could get connectivity to a designated VPN endpoint (our rackspace VPN-VM for example) via one of joffy’s mesh peers. This might be low-risk/cost option to start with, if possible. Discussions are ongoing.
- There’s some terrible ADSL1 at joffy’s house which could also go via our VPN VM.
- Or we could purchase an iiNet VDSL2+ plan in Make, Hack, Void Inc.'s name at joffy’s house.
So, all - what are your thoughts?